JOIN THE JOURNEY
Sustainability is not only sexy, being sustainable is how we make the world a better place. See what Maaji is doing and how Carolina Restrepo, Maaji’s Sustainability Guru, is leading the sustainable journey.
According to the Oxford Dictionary, sustainability is defined as “Avoidance of the depletion of natural resources in order to maintain an ecological balance.”
At Maaji, we define sustainability as being socially responsible, environmentally friendly, and economically viable. Sustainability is about our commitment to our partners, our team members, and most importantly our customers to do the right thing and leave the world a better place than when we found it.
1. Everyone can make an impact.
2. Every action we take counts, no matter how big or how small.
3. Change can’t wait, our planet can’t wait.
4. We are on a journey, every day in every way we are learning and improving.
5. We are and we will continue making a positive difference.
We are commited to:
1. Becoming a certified B Corp, the gold standard in sustainability.
2. Providing all Maaji employees with a fun work environment that provides the opportunity to grow in your career and be compensated with more than just a living wage.
3. Supporting local industries, currently, 90% of our fabrics are made by local suppliers.
4. Measuring and reducing the impact of our carbon footprint on the environment.
5. Designing sustainable swimwear, beachwear, and activewear collections
Meet Carolina Restrepo
We sat down with Caro, one of Maaji’s most successful designers, and asked her “why the move into sustainability?” Here’s what she had to say...
Maaji has always been sustainably conscious and committed to planting trees, supporting beach clean-ups and treating everyone in the supply chain with dignity, and providing fair pair, however, Amalia and Manuela Sierra, Maaji Founders, were looking for Maaji to do more.
I see what the garment industry as a whole is doing to our environment and I recognized the Sierra sisters’ commitment as my opportunity to make a significant impact on not just designing more sustainably but making the world a cleaner, happier and healthier place.
This is not only a passion of mine, but my opportunity to make a real and meaningful difference in the world we all live in. I have a young son and I’m doing this for him too. I want him, his children, and their children to swim in clean oceans, breathe fresh air, and know that we all have a responsibility to preserve this precious gift for future generations.
A big bonus of being part of this women-founded and owned company is how proud I feel when wearing Maaji’s sustainable fashion. I know it’s weird, but when I’m picking out my outfit for the day I actually think about how my reversible bikini is made based on our zero-waste philosophy or how my leggings are made using low-water consumption printing.
I love working at Maaji. I love the creative, passionate, and feel-good vibe work environment. I love the positive impact I get to make. This is truly a Maajical place to be!
We have a long journey ahead of us. We invite you to join us, learn as we learn, and make a positive difference in the world we live in.
DISCOVER OUR LATEST SUSTAINABLE PIECES